Date: 9/6/17 5:51 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: pied-billed grebes, great egrets, palm warblers & osprey
I birded the Mercer County, WV/Bland & Tazewell County, VA lines today.
The rain of last night and this morning must have happened during a big
flight of pied-billed grebes. I found 24 resting on the lake at Falls
Mills, VA this morning. That is the most I have ever seen in this area in
one day.
There were also 2 great egrets there.
I spent an hour at the East River Mt. Overlook near Bluefield, WV(on the
Bland Co./Mercer Co. line). One osprey passed over while I was there. I
also watched two palm warblers at the site. We usually get them there this
time of the year but I think this is the earliest I have had them by 10-14
days.
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV