Date: 9/6/17 5:44 pm
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] OSFL, warblers - Greene-Sullivan SF
Bob Kissel and I birded the state forest on northwest edge of Goose Pond, plus a couple of sites in GP itself, including Thousand Island Woods and GP4. Our best action was at the site below, with highlights of Olive-sided Flycatcher (2) and 14 warbler species.

Greene-Sullivan SF, Greene, Indiana, US
Sep 6, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: With Bob Kissel. Birded along CR1475W north and south from T intersection with CR50S (by foot, about 150 yards total). CR1475 runs along west edge of GP12 and east edge of Greene-Sullivan State Forest. There was a great wave of warblers and other birds on both sides of the gravel road, with warblers visible in short to mid-height trees and branches (as well as in tall trees). The action continued for over an hour, with no stimulus needed from us. Weather cool, clear, and calm, 64 deg F at end.
44 species

Great Blue Heron 5 flying from GP to Wampler Lake
Turkey Vulture 1
Sandhill Crane 2 flying north silently
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 silent, in hedgerow
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Red-headed Woodpecker 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2 flycatching on both sides of road, perched 15-20 feet up; at times perched side by side, but more often chased
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Eastern Phoebe 1
White-eyed Vireo 3 singing a lot
Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 7
Blue Jay 3
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 3
House Wren 4
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 6
Gray Catbird 1
European Starling 10
Golden-winged Warbler 2
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Tennessee Warbler 20
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 4 one singing, others calling or seen
American Redstart 3 2 adult males
Northern Parula 2
Magnolia Warbler 2
Bay-breasted Warbler 4