Date: 9/6/17 3:26 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] WHIMBREL - Buffalo Waterfront
Another WHIMBREL came to WNY this morning. Around 8:30 AM, I saw a Whimbrel come to - and land - at the eBird Hotspot, Buffalo Outer Harbor, Seaway Slip. The last report I saw was about 11 AM where it was reported to have moved a little southward to the Bell Slip. 19 SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPERS, 4 SANDERLINGS, and a peep were also present at the time of the Whimbrel.

This location has been pretty active, despite the disturbance of joggers, dog walkers, unleashed dogs, rollerbladers, drone fliers, etc… A few other recent sightings from this important rest stop I’ve had were:

Sunday evening, September 3rd – 2 BAIRD’s SANDPIPERS

August 12th and 15th - 1 and 3 WILLET, respectively

August 14th - a beautiful BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

I wish we could protect this little piece of habitat that attracts these migrating birds.

Oh, also of note, I had two AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS down in a farm field in Langford on Monday.

Photos of the Whimbrel are included in my eBird Checklist: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39030477

Checklist with the Baird’s Sandpipers: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38984065

Checklist with the Black-bellied Plover: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38639340

Checklist with the single Willet: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38603094

Good birding and protect our lake shore!

~ Sue

Sue Barth
Orchard Park, NY
E: <mailto:<suebarth...> <suebarth...>
Mobile/Text: <tel:(716)%20474-3657> 716-474-3657
My Blog: <http://www.chirpsandcheeps.com/> http://www.ChirpsAndCheeps.com
Flickr: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/suebarth/> http://www.flickr.com/photos/suebarth/
Instagram: suebarth23