Date: 9/6/17 2:43 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed. morning, Eugene
We visited Jean’s Park on the west side of Fern Ridge on Jean’s Road. This is past Zumwalt Park and along the road after it turns northward at the lake. There are two points of entry along Jean’s Road. This park has dense wooded areas along with clear spaces, fruit trees, and brush. We had a major flock of Black-throated Gray Warblers that also contained the other warblers, (except Yellow-rumped), Warbling Vireo, many chickadees, 2 R-b Nuthatches and 1 thrush. We studied this flock while the waxwings were feeding and flying all around and the Bewick’s Wren were doing what they do. We then drove to the end of that road to the boat club and walked the trail to the water. This had the bushtit flock with associated species including the Empies. It also had the goldfinches and the sparrows. 50 species listed.

Wood Duck - 1
Wild Turkey - 1 with brood
Pied-billed Grebe - several with young
Western Grebe - 15, generally far out on the lake
Great Blue Heron - 3
Great Egret - 3
Green Heron - 2
Turkey Vulture - 1
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 calling frequently
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
American Coot - 1
Ring-billed Gull - 3
Mourning Dove - 1
Eurasian Collared Dove- 2
Vaux's Swift - 2
Hummingbird species - 1
Northern Flicker - 6
Pileated Woodpecker - 1
Hammond’s Flycatcher - 1 identified and another Empy unidentified
Warbling Vireo - 3
Steller's Jay - 4
California Scrub-Jay - 1
American Crow - around 20
Common Raven - 1
Purple Martin - few overhead
Tree Swallow - not many
Barn Swallow - some
Black-capped Chickadee - many not counted in mixed flock and with themselves.
Common Bushtit - one flock of typical size
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2
Bewick's Wren - 8
Swainson’s Thrush - Did not let us get a positive ID, but a Catharus most likely this sp.
European Starling - few
Cedar Waxwing - large flock and small flocks maybe 100+
Orange-crowned Warbler - 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler - heard more than seen, but one observed
Black-throated Gray Warbler - major flock
Wilson’s Warbler -1
Common Yellowthroat - 12
Yellow-breasted Chat- one recognized by silhouette with mixed flock, seen low in willows.
Western Tanager - 6
Spotted Towhee - 11
Chipping Sparrow - 2
Song Sparrow - 3
White-crowned Sparrow - 1 immature
Black-headed Grosbeak- 1
Red-winged Blackbird - major flocks of males; many immature.
Lesser Goldfinch - 1 seen, heard more.
American Goldfinch - 4
Evening Grosbeak - 1 heard

Ellen Cantor, Steven and Judy Franzen, Dennis Arendt, Scott McNeeley, Tom Cable, Kit Larsen, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!