Date: 9/6/17 1:49 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakeside Beach SP - west end - 9/6/17
    Interesting loop around the west end of the park with Don Bemont. Nothing super special. Quite a few migrants in the brush and not very responsive to spishing, etc., so hard to find in the dense foliage we have this fall. Also quite a few small flocks overhead headed south off the lake, likely new arrivals. A surprise was the number of Red-headed Woodpeckers calling and moving around in the wooded areas to the very west end of the park and beyond. Also, a surprising number of Brown Thrashers.
Lakeside Beach SP--west end, Orleans, New York, US
Sep 6, 2017 8:10 AM - 11:10 AMDon Bemont & Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Don Bemont and I met at the day-use parking lot. We walked through the picnic area to the lake, west along the lake to the west end, then into the brush and along trails and the edge of a stream back to the frisbee course and again through the brush to the road back toward the pond, but then turned back to the parking area due to time constraints.
    Quite a few birds moving and in the brush, but they did not respond well to spishing, whistling, and hooting and often were quickly lost in the dense foliage of this late summer. Still a good walk and a decent bird list. Very quiet out over the lake.
    Interestingly, Red-headed Woodpecker was found near the parking lot, as usual, but also several were seen and heard way to the west end of the park.
46 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  2
Double-crested Cormorant  82
Ring-billed Gull  7
Herring Gull  4
Mourning Dove  3
Eastern Screech-Owl  2
Chimney Swift  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  6    This was a surprise. Usually there is the 1-3 birds near the parking lot, but as we got toward the west end, there were more birds off to the west calling and others flew over headed west. This number is an attempt to count and to avoid double counting.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  9
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  6
Willow Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Eastern Bluebird  10
Swainson's Thrush  3
American Robin  29
Gray Catbird  18    With this length walk in the brushy areas of this park at this time of year this should be considered an expected number and is a conservative count. With our doing some talking as we walked, I'm sure I missed writing down some birds for each of the higher counts.
Brown Thrasher  7    Again a minor surprise. We had three birds together in the brush way toward the west end, then back near the service road that heads back toward the pond we had several in the brush close to use with at least 4 clearly separable at one time and possibly a slightly higher number present. Likely again family groups.
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  9
Tennessee Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Hooded Warbler  6    Again, this is NOT a high count for this area at this date with the length of this walk and the habitats covered. This represents individuals heard giving "tink" calls and in one case singing at points widely enough separated or individuals heard at one time in different directions from a single spot to be different and all tallied at the rime of noting.
American Redstart  1
Pine Warbler  1
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  18    This makes little sense as a flagged item. It simply represents the fact that there were quite a few warbler chips in the brush and birds moving overhead that were not seen or heard well enough or long enough to Id other than as warblers. This is an estimate of the number and level of frustration at times.
    In dealing with records later for summarizing the season, the fact is interesting, the "record" a delete.
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  14
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  6