Date: 9/6/17 12:33 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

Fred, Kay and I were joined by seven (7) other birders for our Salem
Audubon bird walk today. We walked about 3.5 miles on trails to the west
of Parking Lot #3 (mostly the Blue Heron Loop). It was very hazy and smoky
during the entire bird walk. The temperatures ranged from 64 degrees at
the start to 74 degrees when we finished at 11 AM. The bird activity was
fair to good as noted below. We identified (seen and/or heard) a total of
39 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· The highlight of the day was seeing three *Black-throated Gray
Warblers*. Some of us also saw a *Common Yellowthroat* and we heard
several others;

· We heard a single *Pileated Woodpecker *west of the parking lot.
It gave a few “wuk” calls. The only other woodpeckers were *Northern
Flickers *and* Downy Woodpeckers* that we heard or saw. Some of us saw a
juvenile *Downy Woodpecker *close up;

· Some in the group saw a *Cassin’s Vireo* and a *Hutton’s Vireo*.
These were seen on the main trail past the bridge going west from parking
lot #3;

· There were a few flocks of *Black-capped Chickadees* and
*Bushtits* around. Two of the *Black-throated Gray Warblers *were seen
near a group of chickadees;

· We heard a *Red-breasted Nuthatch, *a* Killdeer *and one* Greater
Yellowlegs*;

· As far as ducks go we had *Mallards and one Wood Duck*;

· The wrens were somewhat active as we saw one *Pacific Wren* and
10 *Bewick’s Wrens;*

· There were 20 *California Quail* in one of the islands of parking
lot #3. A male quail was sitting atop a small tree keeping an eye out for
intruders; and

· We saw observed six (6) *Brown Creepers *and were able to see at
least one of them on a tree trunk*.*

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip is *Ankeny
NWR* on *Saturday, September 16th at 7:00 AM*. Meet in the Ankeny Overlook
parking lot off of Ankeny Hill Road. The next *SAS SHORTS* bird walk is
at *Cascade Gateway Park* on *Monday, September 25th from 9:00-10:30 AM*.
Birder’s Night starts again on Tuesday,* September 12th*; it begins
at 6:30 PM at First United Methodist Church on State Street in Salem. Please
join us if you can.

A *Land Birds ID workshop* is scheduled for *Saturday, October 7th* at ODFW
in Salem, from *10:00 AM-12:00 PM*. The cost is $10.00. The birds being
discussed include woodpeckers, quail, doves and pheasants. A short bird
walk at Fairview Wetlands will follow the workshop.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for September 6, 2017*

*Identified Species: 39*

36 Canada Goose
1 Wood Duck
4 Mallard