Date: 9/6/17 11:27 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Possible record-early Coot, early Merlin, Veery, warbler wave in Morgantown
This morning, I checked the Monongahela River in Morgantown briefly for
terns, gulls, cormorants, and other water birds.

All I could come up with was an AMERICAN COOT at the Barill Park boat ramp
in Star City. Although basically in adult plumage, it appeared to still
have a hint of brownish gray in a couple of places, so I would guess it to
have been born this year. This could possibly be the earliest fall migrant
coot in West Virginia: the only other eBird record for September is
September 30 at Hannibal Dam in Wetzel County in 2016 by Wilma Jarrell.
There are 3 eBird records from August 5-20; whether or not these were
migrants or over-summering birds is open to debate.

Afterward, I birded the WV University Core Arboretum for over 2.5 hours.
Actually, a wave of migrants in the fruiting black cherry trees along the
rail trail just north of its intersection with the service road kept me
within 0.1 mile of that location for almost 2 hours, so I never got to the
flood plain or the northern and central parts of the Arboretum.

Highlights included:

Merlin--1. Very early, though there are a few August records in the WV
lowlands.
Great Crested Flycatcher--2
Veery--1
Black-and-White Warbler--1
Magnolia Warbler--3
Chestnut-sided Warbler--2
American Redstart--1
Blackpoll Warbler--2
Yellow-throated Warbler--1
Warbler species--10 at least. Too much flitting in the trees in poor light
to be sure what they were. Some could have been vireos, I suppose.
Northern Cardinal--7. Included was a juvenile male with a black bill. Most
interesting, though, was a female that flew into a tree overhanging the
rail trail just south of the Arboretum boundary. Closer inspection showed
her to be in a nest in incubating/brooding position. Getting kind of late,
but not unprecedented, I'm sure.
Baltimore Oriole--2
American Goldfinch--4, with a male feeding a begging youngster

Complete list at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39035031

--
Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV