Date: 9/6/17 8:16 am
From: Zeke Cornell <zekecornell...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Concord nighthawks--197
By the time I began monitoring the nighthawk migration at 5:15 PM, the rain
had already started at the northern end of Concord. To the south, however,
there was a steady stream of birds flying from the Pembroke area towards Bow
(east to west). I counted 197 birds, before the skies opened up at about six
o'clock. Later, there was an e-mail from Dot Currier saying she had had
about 500 nighthawks over the community gardens on Birch St., just before
the rains started. Obviously, the hazy conditions were a challenge, and a
good number of birds eluded detection from my perch on the parking garage.

Over in Vermont but along the Connecticut River, Don Clark watches at about
the same latitude as Concord. He noticed that there was a flying ant hatch
after the rain subsided in his area and decided to give some monitoring a
try. The flight in his area was spectacular; he had nearly 4100 birds in a
half hour!

Meanwhile a report from Bar Harbor, Maine, described a good flight last
evening in that area, as well. While the migration of nighthawks is winding
down and today's weather is not conducive for a watch, there may still be a
night or two of good flights ahead.

Zeke Cornell

Bow, NH