Date: 9/6/17 5:17 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Sep 2017) 33 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 33 67 76

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Janny Sterrett, Kathleen Pileggi, Tim Sterrett

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Jim Green, Pam Green, Janny Sterrett, Tim Sterrett, Kathleen
Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 71 - 83F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-2; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-8
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Grab a Seat, Anyone?”---

A Bank Swallow flew by, thus becoming our 90th species ID’ed from our Hawk
Watch area.

A friend of the Hawk Watch, George Graham had a Black-and-white Warbler and
a Common Yellowthroat at his feeders yesterday, so we are not the only ones
who have these insect-eating warblers appearing to sample our bird seed
occasionally. Thanks George, for the report.

The skies were alive today, relatively speaking, with swallows, swifts and
a variety of hawks. Why? I can’t explain it. The winds were wrong. Much
of the sky before us was intense blue, not divulging its occupants easily.
Yet, there they were – a nice early season turnout of larger raptors. Many
Eagles, Ospreys, a couple of Harriers. It was in fact “Eagle day” here at
Bucktoe (13 were seen) and with apologies to Steeler and Raven fans out
there…the Eagles are ready to soar. Besides, you Ravens had your day
yesterday with 2 being seen.

An Olive-sided Flycatcher was still here from yesterday, I imagine. This
one was perched and feeding from the very top of the snag near the Hawk
Watch parking lot throughout the morning. A Common Nighthawk showed up
this afternoon – a day after their official count here ended. I enjoyed
him all the same. Later in the day, 2 Ravens were seen cavorting to our
east…busting in on our Eagles day.

A special request…does anyone have extra or unused lawn chairs, especially
collapsible or foldable, that they’d like to donate to the cause here at
our Hawk Watch? Many of mine are deteriorating and falling apart. Not to
look a gift horse in the mouth, but they would need to fit in with our ever
so subtle motif here…that of brown and green earth tones. I don’t want the
Brokaws to appear as if they are having a yard sale. Kindly let me know if
you do have some for us and thanks… [Day’s “Walk with Nature:”
13,798steps – 5.88miles -- 62floors]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, 2-Bank
Swallow, 3-Blue Grosbeak, 10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 9, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Red-spotted
Purple. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.88; Steps: 13,798; Floors:
62.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 52; this season: 90
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Bank
Swallow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good, but with winds wrong...but, it worked today!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):