Date: 9/6/17 12:28 am
From: <sbreslochness...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Continuing Baird's Sandpiper on Santa Ana River by Lakeview
Rich Martyn and I went to the Santa Ana River yesterday (the 5th) to see if we could refind any recent rarities reported there. We struck out on everything except a Baird's Sandpiper, which seems to be in the same general as reports beginning on the 24th (about a quarter mile downstream of the Lakeview bridge, in the side channel). The bird was quite distant, my estimate would be about 250 feet from the trail. Identification was helped by the fact that it was feeding with a nearby Least Sandpiper. Very long primary projections, plus very buffy on throat/chest. We watched it for about 5-10 minutes before it flew several hundred feet upstream, and we lost it in a large peep flock. Ebird report plus photo here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39027147 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39027147

Good birding
Samuel Bressler
Fullerton

Join us on Facebook!