Date: 9/5/17 9:19 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Stilt Sandpiper, Glossy Ibis and warblers plus some Red Crossbill observations
With the cancellation of the NH Audubon pelagic today (Tuesday), Joe Scott and I used the day to bird from the Mt. Washington Valley to Pickering Ponds. The best finds were a Stilt Sandpiper and Glossy Ibis at Rochester WTP (pics on eBird posting) along with a couple Philadelphia Vireos at Cross Valley Rd. in Jackson and some nice warblers including Tennessee, Canada, Mourning, Wilson and Prairie.

Other interesting sights were Olive-sided Flycatcher at Cross Valley Rd, an adult Bald Eagle at Pickering Ponds (we missed on Black Tern), an adult Goldfinch feeding juveniles (pic posted to eBird), an American Kestrel at Pickering Ponds and the WTP (I’m sure the same bird) as well as a Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal at the WTP.

In addition to the locations previously mentioned, we also stopped at Dahl WS (N. Conway) and a Rte. 16 pullout north of Ossipee.

On a separate note, as many have mentioned on the listserv, there are lots of Red Crossbills (RECR) around. I have had them on almost all hikes in the Whites the past month (except about treeline) as well as in the “lowlands” such as Freedom Town Forest, Huntress Bridge Rd. and Thorne Pond Conservation Area (Bartlett). At the latter location, on Sunday I had 11-12 RECR’s including a very young (streaked breast, belly) bird—pics posted to eBIrd. On my hikes (Stanton, Crawford, Kearsage North, etc.) I am usually getting 2-3 RECR’s. I have sent in a sound recording to the Macauley lab at Cornell. It will be interesting to see if they are around in such numbers for the winter. I also have had White-winged Crossbills on the AT near Ethan Pond.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH