Date: 9/5/17 5:58 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Red-necked Phalarope and more.
This afternoon Dominic Sherony and a I visited the Martens Tract overlook for the previously reported Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes seen as recently as this am. We found the Red-necked but no Wilson's. The water level was up a lot from the day before and birds were leaving as we watched. 1 Stilt and 1 White-rumped Sandpiper were the remaining highlights. A Merlin passing through twice didn't help. An American Bittern flushed from the grasses along the dike to the east.
On to the main pool. The visitor center "pond" had been partially plowed and is waiting for water. The highlight along the first leg of the wildlife drive was the 24(at least) Bald Eagles perched on just about every snag along the river. This combined with 15 more at Knox-Marcellus marsh was amazing. We did not scan nesting sites and only saw 1 adult so many more out there somewhere. The main pool had good numbers of American Wigeon newly added to the couple hundred Coot.
Benning Marsh had good habitat with 1 White-rumped and several Stilt sandpipers giving close views. Along the thruway a Peregrine Falcon harassed a Harrier then failed at a pass at a small flock of Peep overhead.
The north end of Knox-Marcellus marsh was very birdy! The water was up a lot from the weekend and waterfowl numbers were back up to earlier numbers but with greater numbers of Am. Wigeon and Northern Pintail joining the increasing Teal and Mallard numbers. Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpiper groups arrived and left as we watched. We found another Red- necked Phalarope for the highlight but lost it in the Eagle caused shuffles. Great habitat so it should be a great spot with the upcoming weather changes. Dominic has entered ebird checklists. Mike Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone