Date: 9/5/17 4:12 pm
From: Scott Spangenberg <sjspangenberg...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Nighthawks At the Diner; 0 to 59 in six seconds
Tonight, we went out back and starting watching for nighthawks at 5PM. Perhaps we should have started earlier, because at 5:00:06 we had 59! From then on, the nighthawks came in kettles, dropping from very, very high (seemingly out of thin air) and then spreading out to either feed or move on. We finished counting at 6:55PM with 1301 Common Nighthawks tonight, a record for this location, and I think for Amherst as well. This was very exciting.

As the first nighthawks appeared, we also noticed that ants were hatching by the hundreds in the yard, so that’s probably what they were finding.

Scott Spangenberg & Frances Doyle
Amherst, NH