Date: 9/5/17 2:36 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET A Lake Watch & A Hawk Watch Tuesday 9-5-17
Hello Bird People,

Since I did fairly well with shorebirds yesterday (10 species
including Stilt Sandpiper & S.B. Dowitcher) & as I don't like looking
at shorebirds when the wind is so hard the scope shakes I decided to
do something else today. I normally only do Gillson Park Lake Watches
when the winds are from the N.E. or east but Aaron G did very well
with west winds yesterday in the Rainbow Beach area especially with
Terns. So I thought I'd give it a try. Also, the folks at both
lakefront Hawk Watches thought today would be a good day with the N.W.
winds. So I thought I'd try that too.
But neither project worked very well when I was present although the
Hawk Watch may have improved after I left at 1 p.m.

Gillson Park Fall Lake Watch #1 (7:30-9 a.m.)

Not much in the area of migrants except for 4 Sanderlings that very
briefly landed on the beach at the far north end & a flock of 9 Blue
Winged Teal flying south at about 8:15 a.m.
A few (3) D.C. Cormorants flew by & the only Gulls were Ring Billed
(beach) & Herring (fly-bys).
One of the local Red Tailed Hawks was in a tall tree near by.
Then at 8:40 a.m. I had my 1 & only highlight of the a.m. when a
single COMMON TERN flew by but not migrating to the south. Instead it
was flying north while feeding & it hit the water 3 times on it's way
north. When birds are few I count other things & so I counted 11 dogs,
1 metal detector guy, 2 hardy swimmers & joggers, too many to count.
Because of these other activities it's no surprise you almost never
see shorebirds on this beach & the gulls are constantly flushed.

Ft Sheridan Hawk Watch (11 a.m.-1 p.m.)

Took a while to find the location as the map I had showed the spot as
being farther to the south than it was. But I knew it was by the old
parade ground so once I found that I just had to circle the place
until I saw the Hawk Watch group.

It was slower than I hoped it would be with only a few Red Tailed
Hawks, a Cooper's Hawk & Turkey Vultures (3 for me) going by & some of
them were local birds & not migrants. Again I had just 1 highlight &
this one was a fairly close BROAD WINGED HAWK which had about a 1/3 of
it's tail feathers missing. Karen L & company had seen another one
earlier before I arrived.
Also flying by were a few Barn Swallows & many, many Green Darner
Dragonflies constantly in front of us & everywhere else.

Bird-Of-The-Day on this easy going stationary birding day will be a
tie between the Lake Watch Common Tern & the Hawk Watch Broad Winged
Hawk. Back to birding while moving tomorrow.

Al Stokie
Mostly stationary in both Cook & Lake Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: