Date: 9/5/17 2:24 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR
Summertime in North Central Texas has been great this year and it continues
not to disappoint. A cool Northeast breeze was blowing. Some of the
highlights were, very close up looks at one of our resident Bald Eagles
sitting on a power pole at the end of Egret Pad, which is one of its
favorite spots to hang out. Silliman Marsh was good with at least a couple
hundred Blue-winged Teal, 62 White-faced Ibis, some Northern Shovelers and
Pied Billed Grebes. We saw Red-shouldered Hawks at numerous places and a
soaring Swainson's Hawk out by the Oil Co. offices. What shorebirds there
were, were moving around a lot but we did manage to see 5 Semi-palmated
Plovers. a lone American Avocet, 4 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, one Upland
Sandpiper, a couple of Spotted Sandpipers and about 20 Least Sandpipers.
On the cross-over between Plover and Tern we saw 8 Least Terns, 3 of which
are this year's birds. Just before we got to Deaver Pond we saw an
Olive-sided Flycatcher perched at the top of a dead tree. We were able to
observe it flycatching for quite some time. We observed Yellow Warblers at
several locations. We saw a total of 6 Red-headed Woodpeckers, some at
Dead Woman Pond and some in the dead tree by the Big Mineral Creek bridge.
We observed 60 species of birds plus 2 Taxa on a delightful day.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist/S39020110
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!