Date: 9/5/17 10:52 am
From: <s.kelly...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Las Gallinas Sanitary District ponds - and possible alert about access
On Monday evening I took a shot walk around the ponds at Las Gallinas. The first pond was full of ducks, geese, coots, Common Gallinules, and more. It's great to see the male ducks turning colorful again so beginners can identify them more easily. I saw Gadwall, Mallards, Cinnamon Teal, and Pintails. Several raptors made an appearance, including a Northern Harrier, two White-tailed Kites, a Red-tailed Hawk, and an American Kestrel. Common Mergansers were perched on the pipe, as were some Ring-billed Gulls and Double-crested Cormorants. Near the end of the trail, before the shack, I heard and then saw a pair of chattering Bullock's Orioles. Altogether, I counted about 41 species.

The ever popular first Thursday walk that Marin Audubon has conducted for many years will resume this week (9/7), with Jim White leading this month. He's one of the best birders in Marin, so you could easily see 60 or 70 species under his guidance.

I've spoken with the Sanitary District's manager recently. The good news is that they have plans to expand the parking lot, tearing down the lab building next to it. The bad news (for birders) is that this construction may start late this year. He assured us that we could hold our first Thursday walks for the next few months but couldn't guarantee that we'd be able to after that. I'll try to provide updates about this in future postings.

Join us on Facebook!