Date: 9/5/17 6:04 am
From: Andrea Bean <abean60...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Birding by moonlight - anywhere
Hello Massbirders,
In the August edition of Bird Observer, Martha Steele, who writes the
"Musings from the Blind Birder" wrote yet another wonderful piece, this one
was on Migration. In it, she recalls a passage in a book by Scott
Weidensaul about how he would set up a scope and aim it at the full moon
and watch migration. After reading it, I couldn't wait for a full moon to
try this myself. Well, last night I had a full moon so I set my scope up,
aimed it at the moon, and watched and waited. About 30 minutes later, I
saw something small and fast go across my scope as it passed by the moon.
It caught me off guard and at first I wondered if it was a bug. Then
within another second, 4 more BIRDS flew the across my sight in the scope!
I will never know what species they were but it was a thrill to actually
see them. This may be something that most of you do already, but this was
something I never thought about doing, if not for reading that wonderful
piece. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend you do. The feeling I
got when it registered that I was actually witnessing in real time,the
migration, was beyond thrilling.

Andrea Bean
W Peabody MA
<abean60...>