Date: 9/5/17 4:26 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Sep 2017) 15 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 15 34 43

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 13 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Ian Stewart, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (11): Colleen DelMonte, Laureen Eick-Benson, Lana Glass, Carol
Majors, Carl Mease, Kathleen Pileggi, Lorrie Sherron, Tommy Sherron, Ian
Stewart, Ollie Stewart.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Rain, becoming Mostly Sunny (100-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -
2,400-30,000 ft., Visibility - 6-10 miles, Temps 62 - 75F, Winds West @ 10
- 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and
Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Olive-sided, Everywhere”---

Our weekly Bird Walk was on tap first this morning at Bucktoe, with a
continuation of the warblers seen yesterday expected. We’ll see what
happens. The parking lot seemed rather birder-ish (a word??) as I drove
in. I made the purposeful decision not to bird much until group showed up
- not wanting to have to say, “You should have been here a few minutes
ago!” I had an auspicious beginning anyway, with a COMMON RAVEN calling
when first I pulled into the lot. The “regular Sunday morning “crew” began
to drift in with Colleen, fresh from her summer in Connecticut, among them.

There was an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER here very obviously on top of a close
snag. Then there was a second Olive-sided. I had never before seen two of
these local rarities at once, but here they were – in the same field of
view. Bucktoe is a great spot to see these!
The walk began with this brief gem as we started working the warblers in
the parking lot trees:
“What’s that bird with the white double bands on the sides?” asked
Colleen.
“They’re called wing bars, Colleen.” Fortunately, I speak fluent
Connecticut-eze.. So, I knew what she was talking about. It was a Northern
Parula. Ahh…I missed you, Colleen! Glad you’re back!!
Other highlights in the main parking lot area were Nashville Warblers,
numerous Black-throated Blue Warblers, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Magnolia Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Ovenbirds, Blackburnian
Warblers, American Redstarts, Black-and-white Warblers, and a Philadelphia
Vireo. Bobolinks flew overhead calling, while Blue Grosbeaks were in
constant song…still. [“The Bucktoe Bird Walk:” 9,747steps – 4.15miles --
42floors]

Back at the Hawk Watch, after the morning walk…. I always set my scope up
and focus it on “Olive-sided Flycatcher Snag,” so dubbed as it is where one
of those fine birds often perches when one is about. Presumptuous of me?
Likely so. Am I exercising wishful thinking? Absolutely! But, a couple
of these Olive-sided Flycatchers “were about” today as we already
discussed, and soon one of them or another was right on “its snag” and as a
result, in my scope’s field of view. Was it one of the day’s previously
seen birds, or yet another? The season’s first Northern Harrier flew by
this afternoon, followed by a second. Nighthawks were flying – perfect
timing as this is the last day of their official count here. We had 97
today, most appearing early in the evening. We ended the Nighthawk portion
of “The Watch,” sponsored by Delaware Nature Society, with 273 of these
magnificent birds coming by our watch site. OK, but no huge groups this
year.

Bearing yesterday’s rant on Ford in mind…a bit of balance is called for. I
want to thank a few people for helping me make it thru the “van ordeal”
(and Ford will not be one of them). I’d like to thank TLC for the room and
shower, Jim for the ride, Sandy for the tent effort, FAST, my auto service
company for the tow, lending an ear, and arranging the ultimate repair and
Kathleen for rides, including the final one to pick up my van.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-COMMON RAVEN, 97-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 2-OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, 3-Blue
Grosbeak, 7-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 3, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 9.03; Steps: 21,181; Floors:
65.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 56; this season: 89
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Northern
Harrier.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a nice day with light winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):