Date: 9/4/17 11:28 pm
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Frigatebird at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, Monday (?)
I'm sorry I'm sending this so late, but mid-afternoon today I received a call from a Matt (didn't know the caller), that got my number "from the Audubon Society." Matt was reporting that he'd seen a frigatebird at Bolsa Chica (in So Cal we usually assume these to be Magnificant Frigatebirds of course, at least if they fit the summer-to-early-fall window when most records of these tend to occur). I called Matt back to try and get some details (e.g., to confirm that the observation occurred today, and if the bird, as typical, was just seen flying by). I was not able to reach Matt, but from the excited tone in his voice, I assume from the original message it was seen today (4 September).

Most of these frigatebird observations tend to be of birds in flight, which unfortunately just keep flying on by. However, today, down in San Diego Bay it sounds like birders had at least three Magnificent Frigatebirds lingering around the bay for a good part of the day. As some have expressed, it is possible these could well be birds being "pushed" (or at least aided) north by the northwestern movement of Tropical Storm Lidia, which had been moving up the Baja California peninsula from Friday on through the holiday weekend. So for the next few days it might be good to keep a watch out for frigatebirds if you happen to be close to the coast.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Join us on Facebook!