Date: 9/4/17 9:04 pm
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Otis Swisher
Around 1986, Otis found Mountain Bluebirds and
confirmed breeding (pair flying into nest hole in
snag) on a ridge near Black Butte (in California
but in Siskiyou National Forest - upper Illinois
River drainage). Lee Webb, long time forest
biologist for Sisk. Nat Forest recorded the data
and knows more. This was a first for the general
area. Otis was a pioneer re: popularizing
birding and educating the public about bird
appreciation and conservation for southwest Oregon. RIP Otis.

Romain Cooper

At 07:50 PM 9/4/2017, Alan Contreras wrote:
>A great guy. I first met him, as Dave Irons
>did, when I was a teen birder in the
>1970s. Unlike Dave, I missed the Black-chinned
>Sparrow the year they nested on Roxy Ann, though
>I am morally certain that the female flew past me….
>

>Alan Contreras
><mailto:<acontrer56...><acontrer56...>
>
>Eugene, Oregon
>
><http://www.alanlcontreras.com>www.alanlcontreras.com
>
>>On Sep 4, 2017, at 7:48 PM, James Billstine
>><<mailto:<billstinj...><billstinj...> wrote:
>>
>>When I was in the Rogue Valley five years ago
>>Otis would accompany local outings for part of
>>the morning I believe I saw my lifer
>>White-Tailed Kite while he was along on a
>>wintry day near Denman; I am glad we could
>>share that together. He had some great stories,
>>and I believe he found an Indigo Bunting
>>singing smack in the middle of Medford just a few years ago.
>>
>>That I would hope to have his memories in the
>>next 40 years, as he has had over his lifetime,
>>would be a hope and a life to live for.
>>
>>--
>>James Billstine
>>
>><http://wingsaroundtheumpqua.blogspot.com/>http://wingsaroundtheumpqua.blogspot.com/