Date: 9/4/17 7:28 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Two long time Oregon birds recently passed away.
Sad news indeed. When I moved to Oregon in 1970, Otis was without question the most highly respected birder in southern Oregon. In those years Portland Audubon had an annual Rogue Valley weekend trip with Otis as the local leader. My family did this trip in 1971 and that year a Black-chinned Sparrow (Oregon's first) was on Roxy Ann Butte. We got to see it.

Among the many birders that Otis mentored was Craig Roberts, who was maybe 14 or 15 years old then. Craig was a de facto co-leader for Otis on my first birding visit to the Rogue Valley. I was 11 years old then and still remember how impressed I was at finding someone not much older than me to be such an accomplished birder.

As the years passed I came to know Otis better. He was as nice a person as I've ever met, always patient and willing to take the time to share his knowledge about birds. He is among those who inspired me to do likewise passing forward the birding knowledge that has come to me from Otis and others like him.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 4, 2017, at 4:38 PM, Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:
>
> Long time Oregon birders will remember Otis Swisher and Marjorie Moore, both of Jackson County. I am saddened to report their passing.
>

> POST: Send your post to <obol...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!