Date: 9/4/17 7:19 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Sep 2017) 9 Raptors

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors(2): Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 7,100-2,400 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 56 - 62F, Winds ENE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
3-Red-tailed Hawk, and 1-Black Vulture.
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Bad Weather Brings Great Birding – If it Does”---

The remnants of the Texas hurricane are coming thru today…likely just to
bring rain, rather than wind-blown stray birds, but we’ll see. After a
quick supply run to get ice for my cooler and coffee creamer for my coffee
brewed at the Hawk Watch site, I was off to Bucktoe to begin my day. The
weather was preventing anyone from joining me this morning, so I took the
opportunity to walk the perimeter of the hawk watch field meadow. I’m glad
I did. The edges held a nice variety of migrants, including numbers of
Chestnut-sided Warblers, Northern Parulas, Black-and-white Warblers,
American Redstarts, Black-throated Blue Warblers, Blackburnian Warbler,
Tennessee Warbler and Magnolia Warblers – all on my first walk around!
Hmmm….that calls for a second walk, don’t you think? Like I always say…bad
weather produces great birds! (Unless it doesn’t) Besides, my Fitbit
demands at least 15,000 steps – and you simply must give “her” what she
wants…. A second and third walk around the field followed adding
Black-throated Green Warbler and more numbers of the previously seen
warblers.

Around Noon, it began raining more steadily until mid-afternoon, it was
pouring. The day became a total washout, yet the warblers remained hot all
day – right till dark. It should remain fantastic tomorrow, as these birds
will likely not migrate through this weather tonight. [17,076steps –
7.28miles -- 18floors]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Eastern Screech-Owl, 1-Tennessee Warbler, 3-Northern Parula,
6-Chestnut-sided Warbler, 5-Magnolia Warbler, 4-Black-throated Blue
Warbler, 3-Black-throated Green Warbler, 2-Blackburnian Warbler,
7-Black-and-white Warbler, 10-American Redstart, 3-Blue Grosbeak,
5-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me if you wish Miles: 7.28; Steps: 17,076; Floors: 18.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Hawk &
Nighthawk watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks must remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for
“The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 88
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (5):” Tennessee
Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian
Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks improving
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):