Date: 9/4/17 6:46 pm
From: weatherbird58 <weatherbird58...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Yard birds near Boone - including Peregrine Falcon
Today while laboring over a door on sawhorses, I saw the reflection of an
angular soaring bird in the glass. A new way to spot birds while otherwise
attempting to be "productive". After spinning around and locating it in the
smoky sky, I was pretty sure it was a Peregrine Falcon. It disappeared
over the tree tops, but I ran to get my binoculars hoping for a better
view. I relocated it to the south and it took a crazy acrobatic dive, and
then faced north to gain altitude and came closer. I couldn't really make
out the mustache but I could see a lighter throat. The shape, power and
darkness overall on the underside made it a Peregrine Falcon - new "yard "
bird #173.

Elsewhere in the yard, we had 5 male Baltimore Orioles, a female and a
handful of juveniles. Unlike reports from northern and eastern Iowa,
warblers have been thin, but that could change tonight. We've regularly
seen a Redstart, Common Yellowthroats are still around, and yesterday a
Magnolia Warbler.

Karl Jungbluth
2 miles south of Boone and the IMCA Supernationals (identified by ear)