Date: 9/4/17 6:35 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (04 Sep 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 29 83

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Bill Rasku

Visitors:
Observers Rod Chase and Bill Rasku with fabulous assistance from Mark and
Julie Morris, also Steve-from-Hudson.
Tom Pirro hiked by saying Hi, as did frequent visitors Don Richardson, Joe
and 'Sammy' the beautiful Samoyed, and Bill R's friend John. Steve from
Hudson and others also up.
Estimate Labor Day visitors between 2000-2500 folks.

Weather:
At start: Winds 16kph/10mph but gusting over 32/20. Wind was
from W and moved wnw before gradually going back to W and WSW
late in day. Velocity slowly waned to 8-13kph/5-8mph with
only occasional gusts.
Temp 12C/54F and rose steadily to 18C/64F at 3pm.
Overcast was 80% all day. Haze low (VIS. 16km/10mi); a layer of low, fast
moving clouds streaked 1000ft. over our heads from NW while a layer of
cirrus at 4 or 5 thousand ft. barely moved at all thru the day as it
evaporated away.

Raptor Observations:
Early flight low, though a local pair of adult BE's at 10:05 had no
problem getting serious altitude while wandering from SW to N.
When the wind backed off and the air warmed a little a few BW's took the
higher route while ospreys glided and sharpies worked thru at or below
eyelevel.

Non-raptor Observations:
Besides the 2 local BE's we saw the Merlin twice -- west
side and later on east side.
TV 10, TR 6.

5 Ravens.

Predictions:
Cloudy through mid morning, then becoming mostly sunny,
with a high near 82. Southwest wind 8 to 13 mph, with
gusts as high as 33 mph.
OUCH!
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!