Date: 9/4/17 6:34 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Today: Seasonal Sightings, Including Wilson's Phalarope, Willow Flycatcher, Etc.
Hosting a new friend that I guided today from Buffalo, NY, we enjoyed several Marin & Sonoma Co. birding venues, with the best highlights following:

- Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds, S. Rafael

10 WILSON’S PHALAROPE on Pond #1…..nearly blocked by the 100+ Moffitt’s Canada Geese & 100+ Mallard…..with several Northern Pin-tailed Duck
nice to see back….along with 5 Northern Shoveler….and 1 male Cinnamon Teal — all of which were also on Pond #1.

1 SORA “whinny call” heard on the northeast side of Pond #1.

1 female YELLOW WARBLER seen on the north side of the trail near Pond #1.

- Bodega Bay Area
At Owl Canyon, Mario Balitbit & Eugene Hunn alerted me to a WILLOW FLYCATCHER, which accommodated with fine etiquette by providing
excellent views for several minutes.

Also present there: WESTERN TANAGER, HUTTON’S VIREO, WARBLING VIREO & YELLOW WARBLER.

At the Bodega Bay Head parking area overlook: nice looks at distant Pigeon Guillemot and Common Murre…..with close-up Brandt’s & Pelagic Cormorant on the rocks
and, with the scope, good views of these two species in the water.

*

Unrelated to today, but of local interest in recent days: I’ve been hearing the screech of a BARN OWL in our open space forest adjoining our
residence….typically it’s heard between 4 - 6 am and we hear it through the bedroom window.

Excellent, free alarm clock.

Regards to all….and glad September birding is here (!), both in CA & WI

Daniel Edelstein

Novato, CA

&

Ellison Bay, WI