Date: 9/4/17 6:24 pm
From: Jeff Calhoun <jeffcalhoun11...>
Subject: SW Kansas Birds
Henry Armknecht, Kevin Groeneweg, and I visited various counties in
southwest Kansas this holiday weekend and had a very well executed
'winging-it' adventure that I'll remember for a long time. Few birds are
chaseable but the overall report is interesting:

On Saturday we had our first Red-breasted Nuthatch of the trip in Sublette
(Haskell Co), and at least 22 Burrowing Owls at a Prairie Dog town hardly 5
acres in size. In n central Stevens County we documented a Northern Goshawk
soaring over the countryside, a state bird for two of us. The birding at
Frazier Park in Ulysses was exceptional both Saturday evening and Sunday
morning. Birds seen there included Grant Co's first Chesnut-sided Warbler
as one of six Warbler species and the only Pine Siskin of the trip. A dozen
late Purple Martins at the Ulysses WTP and a Merlin snatching a Barn
Swallow out of the Grant Co sky were surprising, we really did well there.
Sunday, a lingering Long-billed Curlew at a pond was neat in sw Hamilton
Co, but I was more selfishly ecstatic to finally see a Curve-billed
Thrasher in that county up in Coolidge. That evening was spent in Kearny
County where an adult Bald Eagle surprised us at the Lakin diversion dam.
We especially enjoyed Lake McKinney, where we counted 28 Western Grebes and
saw a Western Tanager. This Monday morning we hiked a bit at Ford Co SFL
and saw many of the same migrants we've enjoyed over the weekend and also
had a single flyover Red Crossbill.

Many other marginaly interesting birds were noted; a bread crumb trail is
on eBird. The trip list will be impressive and county list additions
numerous for each of us after all the accounting is complete. Painted Lady
butterflies were everywhere, Sunflowers for days. Mule Deer bucks are
always neat as are the more westerly Pronghorns and the elusive Bobcat
spotted on this trip. Good friends and a great time!

Jeff Calhoun
Dodge City, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to