Date: 9/4/17 5:18 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Black Rail/Ferruginous Hawk on Labor Day
Thanks to Karen Disbrow and Bob Cruden I added two great birds to my
Dickinson County list today on Labor Day. Black Rail was a lifer for me and
for Karen.

The story goes that I missed a voicemail yesterday on our land line from
Karen about having seen what she believed were Ferruginous Hawks(2) near
Cayler Prairie in Dickinson County. Nancy and I took a hike at the Freda
Hafner Kettlehole this morning of our own accord and then visited the local
Labor Day flea markets at the lakes. Upon arriving home mid-afternoon I did
get a second message from Karen this time about not only the hawks seen
again today but that Bob had flushed a Black Rail last night when taking an
evening water temperature reading in a small wetland near Cayler Prairie.
The data gathering is why they were out that way in the first place.

I met them late this afternoon at the wetland (which is just northwest of
the T intersection of 170th St. and 170th Ave) and while Bob was sampling
the water temperature and with Karen watching from dry ground I waded around
the far side in the weedy water edge and kicked out a small dark rail who
flew out over the water and back again. I also played the tape call several
times in the wind but got no response from that. Coming back around the
wetland I also kicked up a Sora which gave a good size and coloring
perspective.

Then as they drove back to Lakeside Lab I got a call from Karen that they
had seen the Ferruginous Hawks again and they were headed my way as I had
driven north to go around the section to the east side of Cayler Prairie.
As I came south to the eastside power station a large light hawk flew off a
telephone pole and in my binoculars I could see it was a light juvenile
Ferruginous. I got the scope on it and watched for several minutes as it
hovered and hunted over the grassland.

What a beautiful bird and what a wonderful Labor Day to remember!!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer