Date: 9/4/17 4:28 pm
From: 'Dave Weber' <dwbirdster...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Presidio and Crissy Sept 4, sparrow help needed.
Since it's not reported to SF Birds yet, the Black-throated Sparrow was seen
this morning at 9:30 in the residential parking lot at Battery Caufield Rd
and Washington. Then I went down to Crissy Lagoon where no dowitchers or
Baird's were seen. I ran into Rob Cullison and Chris Rivers who had seen a
Lark Sparrow at the east end of the lagoon on the lawn and brush beyond the
bridge. I scoured this area and eventually a Lark-Sparrow-sized bird flew
into brush across from three picnic tables along a trail (easily seen on
satellite view). I tracked it down and got a brief look at what appeared to
be a Lark Bunting. A grayish-brownish chunky bird, white below with heavy
streaks, a long white wing patch, dull conical bill and pale supercilium. On
Ebird the last Lark Bunting in SF was in 2012 at Heron's Head. A pic there
shows the same long white wing patch.. Sorry for the delay, I wanted to come
home and look into this before I reported it. Nearly all pics online of
streaky imm Lark Sparrows do not show a white wing patch. Those that do may
be mislabeled. Any help on this is appreciated. Rob, if you read this, was
the Lark Sparrow an immature? - should have asked. There was also a Western
Kingbird that flew out of the brush at the east end and disappeared.

Dave Weber,

Milpitas

Join us on Facebook!