Date: 9/4/17 4:20 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
A very large crowd (35 birders) gathered for today's Labor Day Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.   We tallied 59 species, with highlights being a confused Goldfinch fledge trying to find a perch on one of our birders.  It finally gave up and settled for a Button Bush instead.  Other highlights were some 40 Cedar Waxwings, and the first White-eyed Vireo on our walk this season.  The presumption is that this bird is an early migrant.  It has long been the custom of the Huntley Monday Birdwalk to convene at a local restaurant for a little breakfast and to compile our list.  On those Mondays that are a federal holiday, the restaurant is very crowded, so we ask one of our regulars to open their homes for our tally rally.  Today, Pam and Stuart Davis once again  hosted our large group, and we thank them for their gracious hospitality.
Canada Goose  53
Wood Duck  6
Mallard  3
Double-crested Cormorant  2
Great Blue Heron  6
Great Egret  2
Green Heron  6
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  4
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Barred Owl  1
Chimney Swift  15
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Downy Woodpecker  8
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  5
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  6
crow sp.  4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  5
Tree Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  6
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  25
Gray Catbird  2
Northern Mockingbird  1
Cedar Waxwing  49
Northern Waterthrush  1
Kentucky Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  8
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Song Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  5
Indigo Bunting  2
Baltimore Oriole  3
Red-winged Blackbird  16
Common Grackle  6
House Finch  1
American Goldfinch  6
The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park