Date: 9/4/17 4:17 pm
From: Liga Auzins <llauzins...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] local parks birding
Birders,

Liga and I birded Laguna Niguel Regional Park and Huntington Central Park today. We started with high expectations at LNRP, but were disappointed. In 1.5 hrs of birding we found just only 2-3 migrants. A single Willow Flycatcher was our “best” bird.

We headed then for Huntington Central Park with low expectations due to previous reports of campers and crowds for the Civil War Reenactment event. To our great surprise, the event and participants had already rolled up their tents and left by the time we arrived after 10:30. The weather was very pleasant with lower temps and lower humidity than the past two days, and continued cloud cover. We found nice flocks of migrants in the eucs at the east end of Talbert Lake, the “island” slough, “Loren's Ditch/Pond” area on the north fence line, and along the east side of the Jack Green Nature area. The exotic bird carnival was in full swing with seedeater flocks of 100+ that included munias, bronze manikins, red bishops, and orange-cheeked waxbills. Several flocks of white-eyes were buzzing about and we heard the occasional chatter from pin-tailed whydahs.

Migrants numbers were impressive with high counts of western tangers and black-headed grosbeaks. Several Western Wood-Pewees, Willow Flycatchers and Pacific-slope flycatchers and Warbling Vireos were about, as well as hoards of OC Warblers, more Wilson’s than we’ve encountered so far this fall, and single Townsend’s, Black-throated Gray, and MacGillivray’s, plus a scattering of Yellows.

The bird party we encountered at Loren’s ditch included the elusive Lucy’s Warbler - my best views to date, and on the far side of the pond at the SE corner of the Jack Green area (recognizable by the large number of beer and ale bottles floating there-in) we heard the unmistakable chink notes of a waterthrush, but we were unable to see it. This is probably the same waterthrush that Roger Schoedl reported on Saturday (but from a more easterly location).

Hopefully bird activity will remain high at HCB.

Tom Wurster and Liga Auzins
Garden Grove, CA

Join us on Facebook!