Date: 9/4/17 3:23 pm
From: Jamie Chavez <almiyi...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Guadalupe - Pacific Golden-Plover and other Guadalupe beach birds
Early this morning I had a single PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER on the ball field
at Jack O'Connell Park in Guadalupe with a flock of BB Plovers. It looks
like they are adding a second baseball field next to the parking lot which
should be good for added plover habitat. At SM River willows near the kiosk
I spotted a WILLOW FLYCATCHER where the trees open up to the pasture. A few
western migrants in the area but nothing unexpected. At SM River mouth
there was a variety of shorebirds at the edge of the estuary right at the
end of the plover fenceline. Nothing out of the ordinary, but one of three
RED KNOTS eventually walked to about 12-15' away from me. Fun. There was a
Ruddy Turnstone also here, lots of Red-necked Phalaropes very close by and
other waders coming and going. Gobs of terns and gulls to look through.
Offshore there are hundreds and hundreds of Black-vented Shearwaters on the
water and flying by. A Jaeger chased a tern for a time that I believe was a
Pomarine based on structure.

Golden-plover photos:

Red Knot photos:
Jamie M. Chavez