Date: 9/4/17 1:58 pm
From: Dan Murphy <murphsf...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Seal Rocks and south Lake Merced notes
Sort of a strange morning at the Cliff House.  I could only see somewhat less than a mile off shore.  All activity was there and virtually none in the channel to the north.  Lot's of Elegant Terns with at least 5 Parasitic Jaegers were flying right at the line that formed where the smoke merged with the water.  The usual birds were on the rocks and flying near shore.  At the south end of Lake Merced I had 38 Brown-headed Cowbirds on the wires over the parking lot.  The best birds were the 25 or so Red-necked Phalaropes well off shore.  They were mixed with the gulls and feeding above what appear to be aerators.  Don't know what's going on with them, but I have seen two 15± inch trout caught from the bridge in the past few weeks.  Someone is probably trying to get a little bit of oxygen into that water.  Also at the lake was 1 Wilson's Warbler, 1 Yellow Warbler and a Warbling Vireo in the trees at the east end of the bridge and at least unidentified warblers flying from the bulrush to the willows by the bridge.  Of lesser interest were 1 Belted Kingfisher, 1 Great-tailed Grackle, 1 brush rabbit and 1 CA vole.
Good birding.Dan Murphy

Join us on Facebook!