Date: 9/4/17 12:56 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose & S.E. Cook County-Burnham Prairie & Hegewisch Marsh Monday 9-4-17
Hello Bird People,

Yesterday Montrose had Buff Breasted & Stilt Sandpipers & Fermi Lab
had a Red Necked Phalarope.
Had to decide which place to go & so I picked Montrose as I could then
head farther south after Montrose & as it was a holiday traffic should
be better than on a normal Sunday.

Montrose Beach & Dunes (6:45-7:45 a.m.)

On the beach there were more birders (11) than shorebirds (2 species &
5 individuals).
The 2 shorebird species were Semipalmated Plover (3) & Sanderling (2)
Also seen were Canada Geese (125 on the beach) & Mallard (2)
One Peregrine flew in from the lake but just kept going inland
Among the many Ring Billed Gulls were a few Herring Gulls & no Caspian Terns
Flying over the beach were a few Barn Swallows & walking back to the
car I heard a Catbird &
a Warbling Vireo.

Only 1 beach cleaning machine in action today & I asked the driver if
today was his last day driving the beach as Labor Day weekend is the
end of the official beach season. He said no as they would be plowing
up the sand where the beach meets the water to prepare for Winter
probably until 9-19. I had hoped we were done with those machines!

Burnham Prairie (8:30-9:45 a.m.)

As I arrived Steve Huggins was about to leave but he pointed out the
best shorebird which was a juvenile Short Billed Dowitcher. Other
shorebirds were Killdeer (49 & 4 more in the back pond),
Semipalmated Plover (eventually 10), Greater (1) & Lesser (7, although
Steve had more earlier) Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper (4). After Steve
was gone new arrivals were Semipalmated (6) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers.

Big Waders were Great Blues (2), Great Egret (2) & Green Heron (4)
Ducks were Mallards & Blue Winged Teal
One Caspian Tern is still staying & 1 male Kingfisher was hunting
Way too many Starlings covered the area.

Hegewisch Marsh (10-11:15 a.m.)(Here I was joined by Mike & Jamie for
part of the time)

Another try to see or hear a Least Bittern ended in failure as did all
previous attempts!
From the near viewing area I saw one COMMON GALLINULE but it was a
poor look so I went to the far west end where the view of the wetlands
is much better. From there I saw zero Gallinules! So much for a better
view. The Mute Swan family remains at 5 with the 3 young ones now as
big as the adults but far from being as white in color. No Herons or
Egrets but ducks were Mallards, Wood Ducks & both Green & Blue Winged
Teal. Finally saw 4 P.B. Grebes & then 4 young but distant Common
Gallinules.

But the big surprise (for me anyway) was the numbers of shorebirds
which I don't recall seeing here before. Usually I see 1 or 2 Killdeer
& that's it. Today I did again have 2 Killdeer but with them were
Greater (1) & Lesser (7) Yellowlegs, Solitary (1), Pectoral (1), STILT
(2-JUV) Sandpipers & SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER (1-JUV). Mud flats were
few but the water was shallow enough for the shorebirds to feed.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Common Gallinules &
Runners-Up to the Stilt Sandpipers & Short Billed Dowitchers (2 each)

License Plate Of The Day to one from Delaware seen on the way to
Montrose in the early a.m.

Nothing really special but a nice mix of birds to look at & count.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional