Date: 9/4/17 8:06 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Sep 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 10 19

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Hartshorne

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Jim Geiger, Mike Hartshorne, Kathleen Pileggi, Kathleen
Rengert, Lorrie Sherron, Sandy Stowell.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny to Cloudy (10-90% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000-19,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 59 - 69F, Winds North @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Barred Owl Ushered In the Night Shift”---

Thanks for the ride early this morning, Jim! I won’t even mention the
tomatoes for fear someone might notice you had extra. A new month begins
today, and with it, The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County’s Hawk
Watch. That and the Delaware Nature Society’s Nighthawk Watch, will have
me at beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve all day. Oh, and I have the regular
Bird Walk Sunday morning, too. It’ll all be great fun…just as long as the
weather holds!

At 10:30am, one of “our Ravens” flew by, croaking as he trolled the sky.
The season’s first Broad-winged Hawks were a pair soaring high, twisting on
the breeze, drifting towards the southwest above a kettle of vultures.
Shortly after 1pm, the season’s second OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER was noticed
making sorties off one of our snags to the west. A fantastic look! A few
minutes before 8pm and just as a Barred Owl began hooting in the quickly
dimming light, a flock of 30 Nighthawks flew over the Red Clay Creek
valley, bringing the day’s total to 33 of these fascinating birds. On a
personal front, my van is repaired and has come back to me. [17,106steps
– 7.29miles -- 9floors]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Barred Owl, 1-COMMON RAVEN, 33-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER, 2-Blue Grosbeak, 12-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (7): Monarch - 5, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.29; Steps: 17,106; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Hawk &
Nighthawk watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 55; this season: 83
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” COMMON
RAVEN, Broad-winged Hawk. .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit rainy. Not a good day.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by THE LAND

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):