Date: 9/3/17 9:13 pm
From: Gary Nunn <garybnunn...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla - Magnificent Frigatebird, Black Terns, Sabine's G, jaegers, Sep 03, 2017
I seawatched from La Jolla about four hours this morning, starting at 7am,
and later another four hours starting at 2pm.

I already posted about the two FRIGATEBIRD SP. seen at 7:05am from Pt. La
Jolla, these were a good distance away north, greater than 2 miles I would
say, and drifted northeast across the distant power station before being
lost to sight. Could not discern any fieldmarks. Not seen again and I left
at 11am. Couple of Surfbirds heading south were the first I have seen
locally this fall.

In the afternoon I had a series of small jaegers, about 10 in all, moving
south many in doubles. Distance and bright silhouetted birds made it hard
to ID but I think at least two may have been Long-tailed Jaegers. None
really looked all that large to me.

Joined by Jim Pawlicki about 3:25pm and we saw six BLACK TERN moving
northward in a single group about 4:30pm, then a single SABINE'S GULL,
picked out by Jim, at 5pm.

I took off just before 6pm and Jim remained and then (!) had a juvenile
MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD fly right by him at Cuvier Park, just south of the
Children's Pool, at 6:45pm. Jim got a nice photo!

--
Gary Nunn
*you can find me on twitter, *@garybnunn

Join us on Facebook!