Date: 9/3/17 8:37 pm
From: John Sullivan <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender Oropendolas for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Fern Ridge birds
Alan and All,

I was disappointed to find the pump running, filling the Royal Observation Platform Pond #6 on Saturday. I assumed it would run all weekend as it has in the past when no one is there to shut it off. Some great shorebird habitat was just beginning to form around the only water in the Fisher Unit. I was looking forward to it improving over the next few weeks. The little bit of exposed mud and shallow water will be covered up and too deep for shorebirds to use now.

John Sullivan
Springfield, OR

Date: Sun Sep 3 2017 11:53 am
From: acontrer56 AT gmail.com
Tye Jeske and I did a dawn patrol at the Fern Ridge Royal Avenue main dike today. I™m sorry to report that about two inches of water has been put back into the Pelican Pond, which has covered about 80 percent of the mudflats that shorebirds were using. There is still a little edge available toward the south part of the pond and we found a few shorebirds, mainly LB dowitchers. The yellowlegs were apparently mostly to the east using the ditch between the eastern ponds - we could hear them. We walked almost to the end of Royal, where the muddy road is supporting a few Least, with snipe along the edges.
I don™t know if more water will be added to this pond. Another inch and there will be no shorebird use at all. My guess is that it was done for incoming ducks. We saw well over 300 Northern Pintail on the pond, recent arrivals. Also more GW Teal.
Other highlights include 5 White-fronted Goose and a couple of Lincoln™s Sparrows. An imm. Bald Eagle was in the area. As we left we found a Warbling Vireo by the gate.

Alan <Contrerasacontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon
www.alanlcontreras.com

Sent from my iPad