Date: 9/3/17 8:38 pm
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sabine's Gulls at Sauvie Island with directions to site
Birding the area around Sturgeon Lake can be done multiple different ways.
Another good option is, after going over the Sauvie Island Bridge, stay on
Sauvie Island Rd that runs along the west side of the island for about 8
miles. The road then turns to gravel but keep going. After about 2 miles
there is an option to turn right. Do that and there will be a parking lot
after about 0.5 mile (shortly after that right turn there will be water on
the left. Today there was a Snowy Egret there mixed among many Great
Egrets). Once you park, there are multiple paths one can take, and all are
good. For mornings I think the best is to walk east towards The Wash, and
then turn south (right). There is a user path through the grass and
woods. After about 1/4 to 1/2 mile you'll have a great view of Sturgeon
Lake to the west with the sun at your back. We saw 2 adult Sabine's Gulls
from there this morning, but no immature birds, and no Little Gull.

Andy Frank

Join us on Facebook!