Date: 9/3/17 7:10 pm
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Creek Park-Eared Grebe, Laughing Gull, Avocets, Pintails
Bob Carper located a grebe at Eagle Creek Park, Indy, on Sunday morning and fortunately included a photo with his eBird checklist. Although not a stellar photo, structurally the bird appeared to be an Eared Grebe rather than a Horned. Aidan Rominger agreed with my ID so we visited Eagle Creek Park on Sunday evening to see the bird for ourselves. We quickly found it WNW of the park's marina about halfway between the marina and the western shore. Scope views allowed us to ID it as a juvenile Eared Grebe with rusty wash visible on the throat. Lisa and Randy Vanderbilt were at the marina and were able to see the bird with us. The checklist below contains a poor, but diagnostic, photo of the bird.

Aidan and I eventually made our way to the north end of the park and relocated the eleven American Avocets seen in the morning. I also spotted an adult Laughing Gull which Aidan obtained photos of before it flew out of sight to the south (maybe going to Rick's for night?). Aidan had seen two juv Laughing Gulls in the morning so this was the third Laughing Gull at the park on Sunday.
We also spotted a Stilt Sandpiper, Northern Parula, and four female-type Northern Pintails at the north end. Aidan also had an early Yellow-rumped Warbler which he saw and heard but which eluded me. At approximately 7:40, the avocets flew southward fairly high in the sky, possibly resuming migration. They were more than a mile south of us when I last saw them in my scope.
The list for the north end:
Scott Starling Sanctuary, Marion, Indiana, US
Sep 3, 2017 7:04 PM - 7:47 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
26 species