Date: 9/3/17 7:13 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [obol] Sabine's Gulls at Sauvie Island with directions to site
This afternoon, Ross Barnes-Rickett and I went to check on the Sabine's
Gulls that have been seen at Sauvie Island recently. Because some people
have asked for directions about birding this location and it took us awhile
to figure it out, I provide detailed directions below.

From Sauvie Island Road, go right on Reeder Rd, then left on Oak Island Rd.
Continue on this when it becomes gravel and continue to the end of the
road, where you can park. From the parking area, take the Biomimicry Trail
(big sign with trail name 30 yards down the trail). This leads through
woods and a field to a metal gate through a barbed wire fence. Go through
the gate and take the trail to the right (east) for about 400 yards. A
shallow body of water straight ahead runs north to south. I believe that
this is Sturgeon Lake on Google Maps. If this is not correct, please let me
know.

The trail makes a 90 degree turn to the left and you can follow it as it
runs near the shoreline. Every 1-2 hundred yards, you can make your way to
the water and scan for the gulls. We had 2 adult Sabine's Gulls flying
around and sitting in the water on the far side. A scope is essential for a
decent view. There were several hundred shorebirds on the far side of the
water also, but they were too far away for us to ID. Closer by, there were
300+ Green-winged Teal, a smattering of Northern Pintails and Northern
Shovelers, 200+ American White Pelicans and an adult Bald Eagle.

Peter Barnes
Portland

Join us on Facebook!