Date: 9/3/17 7:04 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Peeps feeding at midnight?
Shorebirds are active on the tide cycle. They have very good night sight and those who band have to set up on moonless nights as the birds can avoid the nets. Since food is critical and is really available only twice a day, it makes sense to be able to feed at night while the tide is dropping. So at high tides shorebirds tend to rest while they can and as the tide falls they work the flats as they open to catch whatever the high water brought in.

Glenn

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

> On September 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon all,
>
> While fishing with my cousin Friday night on a south shore beach, I noticed, as usual, sandpipers and sanderling moving around in the dark (pretty bright waxing gibbous moon). What I had never noticed before Friday night was these birds feeding at the shore as the waves receded. Anyone ever have this experience or could shed some light on this nocturnal feeding activity (pun intended)?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Guidetti
> Westford, MA

Join us on Facebook!