Date: 9/3/17 5:18 pm
From: reports--- via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Snickers Gap (03 Sep 2017) 35 Raptors
Snickers Gap
20 Miles West of Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 03, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 7 7 8
Bald Eagle 8 8 8
Northern Harrier 3 3 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 1 1
Broad-winged Hawk 12 12 21
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 1
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 3 3 3
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 1 1 1
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 35 35 46

Observation start time: 08:45:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.25 hours

Official Counter: Joan Boudreau and Bob Abrams, The Littles

Observers: Doug Graham, Matt Orsie, The Littles, Wes Hetrick

Visitors:
Harry McCoy, the regulars (Doug, Wes, Matt), and a huge showing of Sunday
Appalachian Trail hikers and cars. Happy September. Looking forward to the
big Broadwing push.

Weather:
Overcast to start, partly cloudy much of the day. Light winds WSW to NW.
Warm and pleasant, especially in the shade.

Raptor Observations:
Lots of Bald Eagles, many not headed in the right direction or seeming to
move more casually than on a migratory mission. As always we don't count
Black and Turkey Vultures, but we saw a regular contingent of them today
flying back and forth in all directions.

Non-raptor Observations:
No warblers or other Dickie birds in our woods. But Cedar Waxwings, Chimney
Swifts, Goldfinches, and Swallows, among others, flying over east to west
(all to be reported on eBird).