Date: 9/3/17 3:05 pm
From: Linda Pivacek <lpivacek...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Peeps feeding at midnight?
Yes, I live by Short Beach, Nahant and have walked it at night and found that the shorebirds are very active. With a bit of research I learned that night feeding was typical. So when I find the resting shorebirds in the wrack during the day, I understand their need for a rest.. not forgetting the fantastically huge distance many travel in migration.

An Amazing Journey!

Linda

Linda Pivacek, Nahant, <lpivacek...> mailto:<lpivacek...>

> On September 3, 2017 at 3:36 PM Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...> wrote:
>
> Good afternoon all,
>
> While fishing with my cousin Friday night on a south shore beach, I noticed, as usual, sandpipers and sanderling moving around in the dark (pretty bright waxing gibbous moon). What I had never noticed before Friday night was these birds feeding at the shore as the waves receded. Anyone ever have this experience or could shed some light on this nocturnal feeding activity (pun intended)?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Guidetti
> Westford, MA

Join us on Facebook!