Date: 9/3/17 12:37 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Repeat Performance At Waukegan, Illinois Beach & State Line Beach Sunday 9-3-17
Hello Bird People,

Not sure why I did the same places as yesterday since shorebird
quality was poor but maybe I thought that as birds were moving a new
cast of characters would be in today. They weren't as most of today's
bird were repeats as well. Here's what Bob Erickson & I saw today:

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (7 fly-bys), Canada Geese (16) & Mallard (4)
Spotted (1-IM) & Least (1) Sandpipers & Sanderling (21, way down from
yesterday's 71)
Ring Billed (~75) & Herring (10) Gulls
Barn Swallow (30-35) & Savannah Sparrow (1)

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-9:10 a.m.)

On Or From The Beach

D.C. Cormorant (7 fly-bys) & about 35 ducks flying off to the west but
too far to I.D.)
NORTHERN HARRIER (1-JUV hunting over the dunes)
MERLIN (1, briefly chased a Flicker)
Sanderling (1 on the beach & 1 fly-by, down from the 32 here yesterday)
Ring Billed Gull (31) & Barn Swallow (5)

Inland highlights were R.T. Hummingbird, Chimney Swifts (~25) & a Bay
Breasted Warbler

State Line Beach (9:30-9:50 a.m.)

There's a large seaweed mat ("Green Glop") just off shore & on it were:
Killdeer (8) & Semipalmated Plover (6)
Sanderling (86, ebird won't like that total!)
Least (2) & Semipalmated (4) Sandpipers
Ring Billed (~50) & Herring (12) Gulls
Caspian Tern (1 calling fly-by)
Barn Swallow (2)

A stop at Techny Basin North added Lesser Yellowlegs (1) & Solitary
Sandpiper (4) to my shorebird list for the day which ended with 7
species.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the young hunting Northern Harrier & Runner-Up to
the continuing Merlin both
at Illinois Beach South today.

I have not seen many good license plates lately but Plate Of The Day
for today goes to one from
Maine seen on Rt 41 near Waukegan on my way home. That's the plate
Jeff Sanders needs to finish all 51 U.S. plates for the year.

Al Stokie
Mostly in N.E. Lake County again

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: