Date: 9/3/17 11:11 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (31 Aug 2017) 1 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1 9 9

Observation start time: 18:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 2 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Jean-Marie Gauthier, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
THE LAND CONSERVANCY for SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY'S HAWK WATCH & DELAWARE
NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Jean-Marie Gauthier, Susan McLaughlin, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (50-90% cloud cover), Ceiling - 31,200-19,300 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 79 - 70F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
2-Red-tailed Hawk, and Turkey Vultures (1).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Fake Lifer??”---

A brief shower showed up…unexpectedly, drenching Susan and I and forcing a
pickup of much of the site. After the shower, a singing White-eyed Vireo
was added to our site year list. A Merlin streaked southward, just before,
at 6:25pm, nine Nighthawks became a lifer for Jean-Marie, flying by
directly overhead. Maybe you didn’t know this little-known rule there,
Jean-Marie – a lifer costs you an ice cream! I’ll have a strawberry!
Bobolinks were in evidence as were our Blue Grosbeaks – those still in full
song. Another shower dampened our evening…

Tomorrow? Ah, tomorrow the actual full-day hawk watch starts, along with
the Nighthawk Watch! I’ll be here all day from 9am thru till dark.
[10,036steps – 4.28miles -- 5floors] Postscript…Jean-Marie got home…called
and said that upon further review of his records that the Nighthawks were
not a lifer, but he had seen them once before. Nice try to get out of the
“ice cream payoff.” Brings the even less known amendment to the lifer rule
into stark focus. That rule states…”the penalty for faking a lifer is 2
ice creams, Jean-Marie!!” That gets me a vanilla cone, too!
<BR><BR>
---- Thanks to Delaware Nature Society for their support, and especially,
to the Brokaws, for not only their incredible support, but gracious
generosity in opening their property to the public for this watch, and oh,
so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
9-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 1-White-eyed Vireo, 2-Blue Grosbeak, 10-Bobolink.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 20, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple.
Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Halloween Pennant.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (4): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, White-tailed Deer, Raccoon.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.28; Steps: 10,036; Floors: 5.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Hawk &
Nighthawk watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Hawks & Nighthawks, must remain our primary focus) for totals of each
species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” White-eyed
Vireo.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like fall is descending upon us. Can you believe
it's September?
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru Sept. 3, 5pm thru 8:00pm.
And from Sept. 1 thru Nov. 30, every day 9am thru 3pm. Rain or shine.
The Nighthawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware
Nature Society. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: