Date: 9/3/17 8:56 am
Subject: Lake Wheeler: Wood Stork
I birded at Lake Wheeler this morning, after stopping at Mid Pines Rd and Yates Millpond. Nothing of note at the latter 2 spots except a hilarious, minutes-long floating log-rolling “demonstration" by 4 turtles. At L. Wheeler, the only shorebirds I saw were Killdeer (c. 10) and both Yellowlegs (also c. 10). Just as I was packing up my scope, I spotted the Wood Stork circling over the westernmost part of the lake. As it gained altitude, it drifted east and I lost it when it passed over me, due to the tree canopy cover.

Good birding!
Bob Rybczynski
Cary, NC

Join us on Facebook!