Date: 9/2/17 7:38 pm
From: Steve Huggins <sjhuggins1209...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chautauqua / Emiquon - Sat 9/2/17
Today, Matt Igleski, Glenn Giacinto and Myself headed to central IL in search of shorebirds! Starting the day at Chautauqua where we spent the whole morning - there were definitely 1000’s of shorebirds to search through, mainly Pecs and Lesser Yellowlegs, with patience we were able to find 15 species of shorebird but failed to find any our major targets - no godwits or avocet. Best of the bunch were 8 Red-necked Phalaropes and 2 White-rumped Sandpipers and good numbers of American Golden Plovers, Sanderlings and Stilt Sands.

On to Emiquon in the afternoon where again despite good numbers still none of those good larger shorebirds or the Ruff! A distant Franklin’s Gull, loads of Stilt Sands, 2 Buff-breasted Sands and our only Short-billed Dowitcher’s of the day (just 3!) were the highlights here.

It’s always nice to see 87 species in a day without really trying - that’s central IL - ohhh and ridiculous numbers of White Pelicans!!!

Full list from the day can be viewed at: http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2017-09-02 <http://www.igoterra.com/rs.asp?userid=283&d=2017-09-02>

Cheers
Steve
http://www.pbase.com/sjhuggins <http://www.pbase.com/sjhuggins>