Date: 9/2/17 6:44 pm
From: JM Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] backroads, biking, birding and blackbacks
Michael and I headed north for a bike trip along the Presidential Rail Trail.

On the way stopped by Mud Pond in search of the Black-Backed Woodpecker, but to no avail (did get a Black Billed Cuckoo), then onto our set destination.

T'was a bit cool as we rode along the Presidential Range, but sunny and pleasant. Not terribly birdy, a few Broad Wings, and Belted Kingfishers on small wetlands, at around 6 miles in, we were stopped cold in our tracks by the baying of a pack of wild wolves (ok, maybe they were dogs, and who knows if they were wild, we weren’t sticking around to find out), a quick turn about toward the start followed. Arriving back earlier than planned, we hiked over to Little Cherry Pond, (where we have been countless times in past in search of the elusive Black Back). Surprisingly the bugs were almost nonexistent, so headed around the trail. At 1/2 way we decided to explore the inner section of “Moose Way” , and not too far along there was tapping, and mere moments later a flurry or woodpecker movemen; Pileated, Downy and not one but two (possibly 3) Black Back Woodpeckers.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38962468 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38962468>

Finally for fun, I tried a video of the BlackBack. Not super still but still fun.

https://youtu.be/1yTlAkdGEfY

Hard to beat that, so we headed toward home, first though, noted a recent report of a Red Neck Phalarope in Lancaster (now just up the road a few minutes) so thought we’d drop in. Very cooperative bird, likely the second bird we spotted on the Wastewater Treatment pond! The bugs were biting so we called it a day.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38961363 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38961363>

Another magical day just playing in the White Mountains.

Jeanne-Marie Maher
Nashua NH