Date: 9/2/17 5:12 pm
Subject: Confusion about Hooper Lane shorebirds, and worrisome eBird filter
The eBird filter for both Baird's Sandpiper and Buff-breasted Sandpiper
inland baffles me! It has Baird's as rare in the Piedmont, and maybe
inland Coastal Plain, but NOT in the mountains? Simon Thompson just
reported a whopping *NINE *Baird's Sandpiper (no details required, nor any
given); this a record inland count in NC, by far! He also reported SEVEN
Buff-breasted Sandpipers, again with no details required or given.
Buff-breasted obviously is not filtered as rare in the mountains and maybe
other inland sites. Yes, Simon is an excellent observer, and Baird's (one
only) has been photographed there in the past few days; it's the eBird
filtering that is the concern with me.

Both of these species inland ought to be listed as rare (i.e., as
write-ins), and details should be provided on eBird, especially with the
filter not catching 9 Baird's Sandpipers.

Also, the large plover ratios there in the past two days have been
interesting. Only one person has reported BOTH Black-bellieds and Am.
Goldens on the same day/trip. Interestingly, James Poling provided
excellent photos yesterday of some of the 5 Black-bellieds there, but he
nor others had Am. Goldens yesterday. Today, some folks are reporting
Black-bellieds, and I see that only Michael Robertson has reported Am.
Goldens -- 4 of them!. I had assumed that was an ID error, but his photos
on eBird clearly show about four Am. Goldens, in at least partial breeding
plumage!! Apparently, the shorebird area out there in the Hooper Road area
is extensive enough that some observers are missing some of these things.

Harry LeGrand
author/editor, Birds of North Carolina website.

P.S. It is disturbing to me that of the shorebirds that Simon reported
today:
7 Semipalmated Plover
15 Killdeer
1 Sanderling
9 Baird's Sandpiper
7 Buff-breasted Sandpiper

that: 1) he saw no large plovers, 2) the only peep species reported was
Baird's, and 3) only Sanderling was filtered by eBird as rare! I think
some details on 9 Baird's Sandpipers, and no other peeps reported, should
be given either on eBird or carolinabirds.

Join us on Facebook!