Date: 9/2/17 4:43 pm
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach / IBSP / Skokie Lagoons (Lesser Black-backed Gull/ migrants)
Hi all,

Started my morning at Waukegan Beach. Not much on shorebirds beyond a
handful of SANDERLINGS. A flyover PEREGRINE provided nice views as well.
List with pics: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38953446

Headed up to IBSP South where things got more interesting. As I hiked the
Dead River Trail I was able to pick out a flock that contained 2
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERS & a WILSON'S WARBLER. Further along the trail I
added a MAGNOLIA WARBLER & a PALM WARBLER to the mix. On the beach I was
scoping the gulls north of the where the river meets the lake and thought I
saw a dark backed one. However, it was laying down and mostly blocked from
view for probably close to an hour. I enjoyed my lunch and waited to see if
the deck would ever shuffle. It finally did and the gull got up and I saw
the yellow legs/dark back. It looked good for a LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL.
The only shorebirds present were again, SANDERLINGS, and a couple SPOTTED
SANDPIPERS.
List with pics: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38958760

Stopped at Skokie Lagoons on my way back home and had some decent migrants
including a couple SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, a VEERY, a few AMERICAN REDSTARTS,
a first fall BLACKPOLL WARBLER, and a couple of OVENBIRDS.
List with pics: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38961373

Complete lists pasted below - good birding

Waukegan Beach, Lake, Illinois, US
Sep 2, 2017 9:02 AM - 9:52 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.98 mile(s)
15 species

Double-crested Cormorant 28
Killdeer 2
Sanderling 10
Ring-billed Gull 60
Herring Gull 12
Chimney Swift 10
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Peregrine Falcon 1
Willow Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Barn Swallow 13
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Marsh Wren 2
Yellow Warbler 1
Savannah Sparrow 7

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38953446

Illinois Beach SP--South Unit, Lake, Illinois, US
Sep 2, 2017 10:19 AM - 2:21 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.74 mile(s)
28 species

Wood Duck 15
Great Blue Heron 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Sanderling 15
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Ring-billed Gull 70
Herring Gull 20
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1
Caspian Tern 1
Mourning Dove 1
Downy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 2
Eastern Kingbird 2
Blue Jay 3
Barn Swallow 12
Black-capped Chickadee 11
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Field Sparrow 10
Song Sparrow 1
Eastern Towhee 1
American Goldfinch 17

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38958760

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
Sep 2, 2017 3:07 PM - 4:36 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.36 mile(s)
22 species