Date: 9/2/17 4:38 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET A Sanderling Day At The Beach In N.E. Lake County Saturday 9-2-17
Hello Bird People,

Although this weekend & next weekend (& the days in between) are good
times for rare shorebirds Bob Erickson & I found none today. But it
was Sanderlings everywhere & tough work to find anything else mixed
in. Here's the breakdown by site.

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7 a.m.)

Waves splashing over the pier meant no shorebirds there but running on
the beach were 71 Sanderlings later joined by 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper
which flew in & then out overwhelmed by Sanderlings I guess. One D.C.
Cormorant was on the swimming beach with the usual gulls & both Song &
Savannah Sparrows where on the edge of the beach grasses.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:30-9:15 a.m.)

Walked the beach to just past the river mouth & had even more
Sanderlings (32) but here we had two other species in with them which
were Killdeer & Semipalmated Plover (1 each). Andy Stewart & Steve M
also had a Semipalmated Sandpiper before we arrived but it was gone
when we looked.

On my walk out I saw a Red Headed Woodpecker & heard a still singing
Field Sparrow & a calling Eastern Towhee. After lunch Bob E returned
to this area & where the Dunes Trail & the trail to the beach meet he
found a CONNECTICUT WARBLER which was a far better sighting than
anything we had seen earlier in the day. Bob also ran into Jeff B
looking at the gulls but that must have been before Jeff was sure
about the Lesser Black Backed Gull he saw.

State Line Beach (9:30-9:50 a.m.)

All the gulls were flushed by a metal detector guy so only shorebirds
remained. It should be no surprise that most were Sanderlings (54) but
mixed in were Killdeer (2), Semipalmated Plover (1), Spotted Sandpiper
(1) & Semipalmated Sandpiper (3-4).

Techny Basin North (12:15-1 p.m.)

Stopped here on my way home but although this place was home to
between 75 & 100 shorebirds for several visits I only found 10 on
Friday & 29 today. It seems the last few days of north winds have
moved birds out & to the south. Today I saw Killdeer (9), Solitary
(1), Spotted (3), Least (5) & Semipalmated (11) Sandpipers. In
addition to the Wood Ducks & Mallards there are 3 Blue Winged & one
Green Winged Teal that have been here for a few days. Also saw 1 adult
& 1 young Black Crowned Night Heron.

Since quality was lacking today I'll go with quantity & give
Bird-Of-The-Day to all the Sanderlings.
Runners-Up to the Black Crowned Night Herons & the Semipalmated Plovers.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County & wishing for better shorebirds

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: